Tuesday 14 August 2012


August 13, 2012. Welcome to Day # 8 and beer # 8 of the 30 IN 30. Let's get to it.

Beer # 8 is Hogsback Brewing Company's Vintage Lager

I know what you are all thinking. After yesterday and my voyage into the unknown, I am going backwards, but I myself don't view it like that. As we all know my favourite style of beer is lager style, so I tend to drink more beer in this category than any other. It is what it is. O well with all that said, let's get to the beer.

I guess the best way to describe this beer is tasty. Hogsback's Vintage Lager seems to have taken my favourite aspects of my favourite beers, ie. Cameron's Lager and Muskoka Craft Lager, and blended them together harmoniously in their lager. They have taken the smooth, crisp, easy drinking taste, like Muskoka's Craft Lager, and mixed it with just a hint of a hoppy, malty taste, like Cameron's Lager. I am enjoying this beer very much as I am writing this blog. The hoppy taste is so minuscule that it does not impede on the drink-ability of this beer for a guy like me.

I thought I would check out the website for the Hogsback Brewing Company, to familiarize myself with their beer and process for crafting such a great lager. I came to find out that Vintage Lager is the Hogsback Brewing Company's only, and inaugural beer. It is a "European-inspired lager with superior flavour derived from using only premium ingredients combining three malt types (2-row, Munich and Vienna), unique Sazz hops, and German lager yeast". Since it uses a Vienna style yeast. I will categorize Vintage Lager as a Vienna style lager. In comparison with Wellington Brewery's Trailhead Lager, since it as well would be a Vienna style, I would have to say I enjoy Hogsback Brewing Company's Vintage Lager a little more. The only reason is due to the fact that as I drink I do not detect the slight bitterness in the taste as I did in the Trailhead Lager.

Anyway, I should get back to my beer. Don't forget to follow me on twitter @30in30Beck or at The Spotted Tap (www.thespottedtap.com) to keep up to date with what I am drinking. Thank you for reading and please remember to enjoy responsibly. Remember, if you drink, please don't drive.

Thank You

Sincerely,

Andrew Beckerson
The Craftsmen


No comments:

Post a Comment